The earthquake in Japan has sparked another surge of interest in the end times. Could it be another signal the world is fast approaching the last days as described in the Bible?
Regarding the last days, this is what we know:
From the Bible
- But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare. 2Peter 3:10 NIV
- You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains. See Matthew 24:6-8/Mark 13:7-8 NIV.
- Zechariah 12: And this shall be the plague wherewith the Lord will smite all the peoples that have warred against Jerusalem: their flesh shall rot away while they stand upon their feet and their eyes shall corrode away in their sockets and their tongue shall decay away in their mouth. 13 And in that day there shall be a great confusion, discomfiture, and panic among them from the Lord; and they shall seize each his neighbor’s hand, and the hand of the one shall be raised against the hand of the other. 14 And Judah also shall fight at Jerusalem, and the wealth of all the nations round about shall be gathered together–gold and silver and apparel in great abundance. (Amplified)
Throughout the centuries and even though many biblical predictions regarding the end times were not clearly understood, Christians have in faith anticipated the last of days ever since Jesus left the earth. Scholars relate that now is a time that the mysteries are becoming clear.
What is already fulfilled
1. Prophecies in Isaiah 66:8 told us that the nation of Israel would be reborn. This prophecy was fulfilled on May 15, 1948, when Israel was pulled to completion in one day and the United Nations recognized them as their own country.
- Who has ever heard of such a thing? Who has ever seen such things? Can a country be born in a day or a nation be brought forth in a moment? Yet no sooner is Zion in labor than she gives birth to her children. NIV
- It is written that the generation that witnesses the birth of this new nation will not pass away until the end of the age is upon us. See Matthew 24:32-4
The name of the land is Israel, not Palestine. Palestine was a regional name that was imposed on the area by Roman Emperor Hadrian, who suppressed the Second Jewish Revolt in AD 135. He wanted to emphasize that the Jewish nation had lost its right to a homeland under Roman rule. Palestine comes from Palaestina derived from Philistia. The Philistines were enemies of the Israelites 1000 years earlier.
Hadrian also changed the name of Jerusalem to Aelia Capitolina from his own family name, Aelia. This, too, was to show his authority over Jerusalem, the city which he knows the Jews believed had been the place of the presence of the God of Israel. Jews were not allowed to enter Jerusalem except on the 9th of the Hebrew month, Av, to mourn the city’s destruction.
2. Jesus told that the days of Gentile rule over Jerusalem were numbered: “Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.” Luke 21:24b
From the time of Hadrian until the Six Day War of 1967, Jerusalem was controlled by Gentiles. It is now back in the hands of the Jewish people. The land once barren is now fertile as predicted.
- In days to come Jacob will take root, Israel will bud and blossom and fill all the world with fruit.//Isaiah 51:3: The Lord will surely comfort Zion and will look with compassion on all her ruins; he will make her deserts like Eden, her wastelands like the garden of the Lord.
Never before in history has a nation been destroyed, its people driven away to places all over the world, and then been brought back. Never before has a dead language been brought back to life.
Jews came from the Far East of China, the West of the United States, North from Russia (Russia did not allow its Jewish residents to move to Israel until the 1980s), and South from Ethiopia (Ethiopia also refused its Jews to return to Israel until 1985 when a deal was made with Ethiopia’s communist government. May 25, 1991, 14,500 Ethiopian Jews were airlifted to Israel).
- Isaiah 43:5-6 “Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west. I will say to the north, `Give them up!’ and to the south, `Do not hold them back.’ Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth…”
About the future
Previous generations could not fathom the prophecy in Revelation 11 where two prophets will be killed, have their bodies left lying out of graves for three-and-a-half days, and that the entire world can see them at once. How would that have been possible in previous generations? It can now be viewed as a future reality because of instant global communication.
Joel C. Rosenberg believes an upcoming war according to prophecies will be “the war of Gog and Magog….involving a military alliance between Russia, Iran, and a group of other Mideast countries who try to wipe Israel off the map. Russia and Iran have never had a military alliance in the 2,500 years since the Hebrew prophet Ezekiel wrote that prophecy, but they are forming one today.”
From John Hagee, Jerusalem Countdown, “Following Ezekiel 38, Russia will give military leadership to the radical Islamics who want to destroy the state of Israel and control Jerusalem. That is the battle of Gog and Magog. And God himself will destroy the Russian-Arab coalition. The world will see God defending Israel as it hasn’t seen since Pharaoh.”
And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. Luke 21:28
“GOG & MAGOG” Chuck Missler “RED SKY” CBYakima Chuck Missler was in Yakima a while back to share His insights.
“Great Earthquakes are an End Time’s sign,” click here.
World Net Daily