So, you think you’ve got this fitness thing all figured out and you don’t need a trainer. You’re feeling pretty good about yourself – you come to the gym three times a week and do your routine religiously, you eat fairly well, take the stairs not the elevator, and are in much better shape than the guy in the office next to you. Nope, no need to hire a personal trainer. Before you pull a muscle giving yourself that pat on the back, here is a quick check to see if there is any room for improvement.
You may want to hire a personal trainer if:
- You have lost some weight, but still have this bulge around your middle that just doesn’t go away no matter what you do.
- You come to the gym and do whatever the really buff guy/gal next to you is doing because you want to look just like him/her.
- You haven’t really lost any weight in the last 3 months even though you continue to come to the gym regularly.
- You haven’t come any closer to my fitness goals in the past 6 months.
- Fitness goals? What fitness goals?
- You would really like to have a body like (insert athlete, celeb or friend name here).
- You haven’t had your BMI, Body Fat Percentage or Metabolic Rate tested in over a year. Say what?
- You have wasted a lot of time and energy at the gym for years and still haven’t gotten the results you want.
Hiring a trainer is not admitting that you don’t know what you’re doing at the gym. Contrary, it shows that you are committed to your health and value your time by using it efficiently. You may also want to consider that every professional athlete and all those celebs with the great shapes have all enlisted the help of a trainer or in some cases multiple trainers, to help them get to where they are. So, if you have achieved your perfect form you may not need a personal trainer, for everyone else, it may be something you want to invest in.
Most people wouldn’t even consider taking matters into their own hands if their car wasn’t working properly. We would take it to the shop and pay a professional to get it up and running the way it is supposed to. Yet we don’t give our own bodies the same consideration if they are not performing at their best. Your car will be replaced after a couple hundred thousand miles. Your body is the only one you get for your lifetime.
We all know that the Do-It-Yourself approach never turns out quite like it would if you hired a professional. The results are usually not as good and it takes a lot longer to complete, if it ever even gets done. Then there is also the chance of you making an even bigger mess of things with bad information and poor tools. Your trainer is there with the knowledge you need to get the job done right and the tools to make it happen most efficiently.
You can always continue doing what you’re doing and hope you lose weight or reach your goals. Of course you will soon realize that hope is not a great weight loss tool. An alternative plan would be to enlist the help of a professional and actually make it happen.