Winter is finally showing some signs of weakening, although recent heavy rains and snow melt are delaying local fly anglers from wetting an “early season” line. Southern Tier fly fishers should take heart; there are many local events to help sharpen fly fishing skills, provide local knowledge, and give hope to even the most winter-weary souls.
Coming next week, Binghamton’s Al Hazzard chapter of Trout Unlimited serves up another great event that’s sure to help fly anglers of the Southern Tier. Click here for information on next week’s guest speaker. Chapter meetings to follow will feature:
- Tuesday, April 19th– Katy Dunlap, Protecting New York’s Water Resources in the Marcellus Shale Region
- Tuesday, May 17th– George Douglas, Fish Like a Guide
- Tuesday, June 21 – BBQ at the West Branch
The hallmark event of the year for the chapter, the Al Hazzard TU 39th Annual Banquet is still on for March 26th. It’s not too late to purchase tickets to this great event – sales last through March 20th – and cost $25 for adults and $20 for children 15 and younger. Contact Gene @ 607-754-5439 for more information, or show up to the next TU chapter meeting to purchase them there.
Additional fly fishing events in the area include:
- Timber Creek Fly Tying Group – Chuck Sherwood,owner of Timber Creek Sportsman Shop, will continue to host a fly tying event through the end of March. TU members will be on hand for instruction and fly tying materials are free. The event is every Saturday through the end of March from 10 am to 2 pm. The fly shop is located at 3204 Watson Blvd., in Endwell, NY. For questions, contact Chuck at 607-239-6511.
- 2011 Fly Tying Symposium –Don’t forget about this great event in Utica, NY on Saturday, March 19th! For more information, click here.
- “Come Hell or High Water”– The 2nd Annual Fly Fishing Festival and Film Tour is set for April 16th. This event is open to the public with free admission. “Hell or High Water” is an annual fly fishing festival and film tour to be hosted at the famed West Branch Angler. It’s a celebration of the Catskills and the arrival of spring. It will include feature speakers, such as Paul Weamer, author of “Fly Fishing Guide to Upper Delaware”, Loren Williams, local steelhead guide, and John Miller, head resident guide at WBA. Manufacturers will also be present, including Orvis, RIO, and Hardy. This will surely be an event to remember.