In this series I want to talk a little bit about the recent allegations made by Travis Makar regarding the Ultimate Bet Super User scandal that was initially uncovered back in 2008, as well as the UB response to this information. As things have been coming out fast and furious over the past few weeks the first thing I want to do is layout the timeline of the recent Super-User scandal findings and the UB Poker responses to said evidence/accusations.
Amazingly, the resurrection of the Super-User investigation began with a prank phone-call on DonkDown Radio. The hosts of the show –and if you do listen to the show be sure to earmuff the kids—Bryan Micon and Todd Witteles managed to secure the cell-phone number of one Russ Hamilton and each week would have some fun with Russ making prank phone calls. In one such incident they decided to use a recent arrest of Travis Makar –a name linked to Hamilton and the Super-User scandal—as the premise for their phone call, which seemed to be the end of the story…
Instead, DonkDown struck poker forum gold when Makar appeared in their show’s chat-room the following week and was persuaded to call into the show. Makar’s “interview” was earth-shattering for the handful of people who are still investigating the Super-user scandal –Haley Hintze, Mookman5 from 2+2, and RolloTomassi also of 2+2 – as Makar seemingly had every piece of evidence that is supposedly missing. Makar seemed to be fairly credible in his accusations, but kept his answers fairly vague when it came to anything of real interest to the investigation.
I’ll go into my own interpretations of Makar’s motives in Part 2 of this series, but for now here is the timeline for the latest UB Poker Super-User evidence/investigations/commentary following Travis Makar’s initial appearance on DonkDown Radio:
- Makar meets with Micon and hands over the “extortion” E-Mail, which is posted to the DonkDown forum
- Haley Hintze unveils a new blog post releasing documents she had been holding in utero that corroborate the Makar document that was released.
- Paul Leggett responds via the UB Poker blog claiming he never paid Brainwashdodo, and that the “Goons” sent to Brainwashdodo’s residence were just verifying his identity and location.
- Brad Booth appears onDonkDown and discusses how the Super-User scandal affected him personally.
- Travis Makar releases another E-Mail with the god-mode script, which was apparently sent to multiple people inside the UB organization.
- Haley Hintze takes to her blog to discuss the new “God-Mode” E-Mail and conjecture on who the recipients may have been.
- Joe Sebok gives two interviews on the new revelations, the first with Cardrunners where he becomes noticeably frustrated with the questions, and the second where he does a better job of staying composed while being grilled for information he obviously doesn’t have.
- DonkDown takes Sebok and Leggett’s responses to task, pointing out apparent inconsistencies and doing some conjecturing of their own.
- Mike Matusow appears on DonkDown and while dismissing Booth’s claims from the previous week, talks about his own Super-User experience at UB Poker.
- Haley Hintze writes Just Conjecturing Vol. 30, where she explains Greg Pierson’s possible role in the Super-User scandal.
So that’s the gist of what has been going on. In Part 2 I will discuss my thoughts on Travis Makar’s appearance, and in Part 3 I will talk a bit about the responses by UB Poker that have been receiving a lot of criticism from DonkDown and 2+2 users.