Writing is a versatile art form. In this series of “types of writing,” I’ll not only identify and define different types and styles of writing, I’ll help you find resources right here in Long Beach.
Public relations writing defined
To understand what public relations (PR) writing is, you need to understand what public relations is. At its core, PR is the building and maintaining of relationships with an organization’s, business’ or brand’s core and peripheral audiences. There are many activities that fall under PR, including:
- Media relations – working with the media gatekeepers;
- Publicity – promoting an organization, business or brand;
- Reputation management – monitoring and managing the reputation of an organization, business or brand.
Basically, public relations main goal is to safe money through building and nurturing positive relationships with those who do business with and have an effect on the success of an organization, business or brand.
Almost all the activities that PR professional engage in to do their job require writing skills.
Examples of public relations writing
- Press releases – announcements of newsworthy events sent to the media or posted online
- Pitch Letters – Letters sent to the media providing story ideas
- Newsletters – newsletters sent to members of key publics, such as consumers, investors, etc., that foster a positive relationship and keep the organization, business or brand top of mind
Resources for public relations writing
- Public Relations Writing: The Essentials of Style and Format by Thomas H. Bivins
- Public Relations Writing: Form & Style by Doug Newsom and Jim Haynes
- Public Relations Writing and Media Techniques by Dennis L. Wilcox
- The Public Relations Writer’s Handbook: The Digital Age by Merry Aronson, Don Spetner and Carol Ames
- Strategic Writing: Multimedia Writing for Public Relations, Advertising and More by Charles Marsh, David W. Guth and Bonnie Poovey Short
Public relations writing in Long Beach
There are several PR companies and writers based in Long Beach. Here are a few of them:
- Long Beach Public Relations – Michelle Shortencarrier
- Adler Public Affairs – Jeffrey Adler
- Frank Groff Incorporated – Frank Groff
- The Lamont Group – Evan Lamont
- Pier Communications – Cameron Andrews
Would you like to shine the light on your writing brilliance? You can leverage your presence online to attract better clients, projects and opportunities. DragonWyze Solutions can help. Visit www.dragonwyze.com for more information on how Carma can help you nurture an online footprint that supports your goals as a writer.