Here are the answers to yesterday’s Trivia Challenge. Find out how much Irish is in you – and learn a little bit the Emerald Isle.
1. First St. Patrick’s Day parade took place in 1737 in:
2. St. Patrick’s Day became a national holiday in Ireland in 1903; the first parade was held in Dublin in:
3. St. Patrick was not Irish by birth; he was a missionary born in:
4. St. Patrick’s true given name was:
c. Maewyn Succat
5. St. Patrick is the Irish patron on the Loire of:
6. The original color associated with St. Patrick was:
7. According to legend, St. Patrick banished these from Ireland:
8. Is a bodhran a drum or a fiddle?
9. A leprechaun is an Irish:
10. Ireland was the first country in Europe to grow on a large scale:
11. An estimated pints of Guinness will be consumed on St. Patrick’s Day.
a. 13 million
12. Kissing the Blarney Stone is suppose to give you:
d. The gift of gab
13. The color green for Ireland stands for:
a. Nature, and
14. This Irish plant represents the Christian Trinity:
15. Shamrock and clover are the same thing:
c. Depends on who you ask
16. What is a shillelagh:
a. Walking Stick
17. The Irish are said to have brought this breakfast staple to America:
18. Which style of ring is the Irish wedding band:
19. “Erin go Bragh” means:
a. Ireland Forever
20. Irish Coffee was not invented in Ireland, but in this American city:
c. San Francisco
21. Muckanaghederdauhaulia is the longest:
b. Town name in Ireland
22. In Irish tradition, if you don’t wear green on St. Patrick’s Day, you:
d. Will get pinched
23. On St. Patrick’s Day, Irish pubs serve green beer:
b. False (It’s an American/Canadian tradition)
24. In Ireland, St. Patrick’s day is celebrated over:
b. 5 days
25. Corned beef and cabbage is a traditional Irish meal:
25 Correct: La Fheile Padraig! – You’re a bona fide Irishman, at least at heart!
20-24 Correct: Saol fada chugat! – You definitely have a little Irish in ya!
15-19 Correct: Maith thu! – There’s some green around your ears!
10-14 Correct: Slainte! – You may not be very Irish, but you can pass for one day.
Under 10 Correct: Ta bron orm! – Your as Irish as chihuahua.
“An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold on to one blade of grass and not fall on the face of the earth.”