Toni Poletes, 52, of Marine on St. Croix, has stage four breast cancer that has metastasized to her lungs, spine, liver, and brain, according to the St. Paul Pioneer Press 4-24-2011. She is also a role model, close friend to most who live in Marine on St. Croix, a kind and empathetic counselor to many, and has touched the life of her entire community. So why does someone so obviously kind and good, have a devastating illness befall her?
I believe God is perfect and all powerful; still bad things happen to good people. We are here to learn, grow, and evolve. That means there may be some very unpleasant times in our lives. We sometimes choose to grow through pain. And, sometimes, we are given the pain so that we will grow. If some terrible fate, such as a devastating illness or accident befalls someone, it is not the result of God inflicting punishment, but rather other circumstances coming into play.
A judgmental God would impede our ability to grow. We would be afraid to move, fearing our actions were not good enough. Conversely to a judgmental God, I believe that God loves us enough to help us on our growth, sometimes through painful things, not always alleviating our painful circumstances but encouraging us, supporting us, and helping us never the less.
“Bad” things come into our life for a variety of reasons:
1. Our growth and life plan sometimes makes us experience very painful things so we can learn some difficult lessons.
2. Life or soul lessons that we have chosen to learn can come into play, with the consequence appearing as a “bad” intrusion in our life.
3. Interconnectedness or karmic debt plays another role in “bad” things happening.
4. Genetics can also have negative ramifications on good people. If your soul chose to incarnate within a certain family, for it’s highest soul growth potential, but there was the genetic predisposition to a certain illness, your soul may have weighed the chance for growth against the possibility of illness and chose the chance of illness.
5. Environmental concerns may contribute as well. Again your soul could have chosen to be born into a certain family for significant soul growth with the knowledge of environmental contaminants posing a threat of great illness (think Erin Brockovich and the families she represented.)
The comforting reality is that God is with us and capable of any miracle. However, God simply loves us so much that God does not interfere with our interconnectedness, life choices, etc. and allows us to live our life and sometimes learn through painful experiences. The blessing we receive, is that we are not alone, going through our trials and tribulations.
Thank-you for reading. For more information, please see my website: www.soultosoulaguide.com