Everyone has concerns when they first go on a date, but when you are a teenager the concerns are overwhelming. Aside from there being so much peer pressure on different issues, dating is probably one of the highest. There seems to be a heightened competition of who dates the most guys or girls.
Below is a list of concerns brought to me by a 17-year-old girl.
- Is this guy really the person you think he is or is he lying? Many times when someone of the opposite sex is trying to attract the other person, they are on their “best” behavior. They will hide any of the “flaws” in order to make the conquest. It isn’t until the relationship is well under way that the flaws are discovered.
- Will he move too fast? Which is a great concern I think, because based on number 1, you won’t know right away if this is the right guy for you. Many times this may be the reason for a failed relationship. Women think that they need to be the “giver;” and don’t want think that they would be the cause of a failure, so if the guy wants to have sex – the girl will usually give in.
- Is he the kind of guy that your parents will like? Talk about pressure! That would be of great concern because if he’s not accepted by the family and she really likes him, well, it’s only going to cause strife in the relationship from the very beginning. A relationship that starts out with either side not liking the other person doesn’t start off well. Although many a relationship has survived with the family not liking the boyfriend or girlfriend. The key here is to know how to deal with it.
- Is he respectful? I can see why this concerns our young girl, if this is the first time she will be dating this young man, and she doesn’t see that he is being respectful then, it probably will not evolve into a second date, plus it gives her insight on what is likely to continue if she were to go out with him on a second or third date.
- Does he like the things you like? Do you have anything in common? Real important, because if you don’t have anything in common, then you are going to have a boring time. The more things that you have in common with your date, will make the date more enjoyable and will turn out to eventually more dates. These are things you need to find out beforehand – not just because this guy is the captain of the football team or the most popular guy in school means that you will have a good time on your date, but that at least you have something in common – be it music, movies, games, etc.
Communication is a great part of finding out things about someone, and finding out if they are the right person for you. Being able to know their friends or family members is of great importance because it gives you insight on the type of person he is. This page was based on concerns from a young girl, but would love to find out concerns from the male perspective.