The initial lineup for Twix Presents: TBS Just For Laughs Chicago 2011 has been announced. The comedy fest — held in 15 venues throughout the Chicago area — runs from June 14-18. Tickets for the third annual event went on sale April 2.
Among the over 100 comedians performing at the five-day festival are Louis C.K., Demetri Martin, talk show host George Lopez and “Community” star Joel McHale, along with several of their friends and special guests.
Aussie comic Tim Minchin will kick things off on June 14 for the first of his five shows at Lincoln Hall.
The following evening, The Anti-Social Network, comprised of Dave Attell, Jim Breuer, Bill Burr and host Jim Norton, will play the Chicago Theatre, which will also host Martin (June 16), McHale (June 17) and C.K. (June 18).
Meanwhile, Lopez will join forces with fellow Just For Laughs vet Russell Peters for a June 18 show at the Rosemont Theater.
Comedy Central roast mainstay Jeffrey Ross will poke fun at the Windy City with his show, Jeffrey Ross Roasts Chicago, at the Vic Theatre Friday, June 17.
Fellow frequent roaster Whitney Cummings, the lone female comic in the preliminary lineup, will also play the Vic on June 16.
Visit the Just For Laughs Chicago website for more info and expect many more acts to be added soon. TIckets are currently available via Ticketmaster and etix.com.
Update (4/26/11): Steve Martin, Martin Short, SNL’s Weekend Update anchor Seth Meyers, Blue Collar Comedy’s Ron White, Rodney Carrington and Jo Koy have been added to the Just For Laughs lineup. Additionally, comedians Hannibal Buress, Kumail Nanjiani, Kristen Schaal and Paul F. Tompkins will perform as Demetri Martin’s special guests.
Martin and Short will perform together for the first time ever at the Chicago Theater June 19. Meanwhile, White and Carrington will team up for a show at the Rosemont on June 15, while Meyers and Koy will have solo shows at the The Vic on June 18 and June 15, respectively.
Twix Presents: TBS Just For Laughs Chicago
June 14-June 18
THE CHICAGO THEATRE
The Anti-Social Network
7:30 p.m. June 15
- The Anti-Social Network features the combination of comedic powerhouses Dave Attell, Jim Breuer, Bill Burr and the show’s host and brainchild, Jim Norton. Norton conceived the idea for The Anti-Social Network in late 2010 when he wanted to change up his annual shows in Atlantic City and put something special and different together for his fans. Having four headliners on one stage seemed to be the perfect way to give his fans a new and exciting show: Norton says, “Dave, Jim and Bill are three of the funniest comics on the planet. This is definitely the best show I’ve ever been a part of.”
Demetri Martin & Special Guests,
Who are Also Comedians and are Friends of His
7:30 p.m. June 16
- Intercontinental comedian Demetri Martin, known for his hit series Important Things with Demetri Martin and for his past contributions to The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, hosts an evening of killer alt comedy featuring several very funny comedians who really make him laugh and with whom it will be fun to hang out backstage. This show will also feature the best audience at the whole festival.
Joel McHale & Friends and Acquaintances
7:30 p.m. June 17
- Comedian Joel McHale has won over fans with his outrageously funny jabs at pop culture and current events on The Soup and for his performance on the hit comedy Community. Now he heads to Chicago to host a night of great standup with some of his funniest friends and a few acquaintances.
Louis C.K. and Three Very Special Guests
7:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. June 18
- He’s one of the hottest comedians in the country, and his hit TV series – conveniently named Louie – is worshipped. His stand-up specials are routinely cited as the finest in the country. What else is there to say? The man is simply the best. Louis returns to Chicago hosting a very special show with three very special guests.
Tickets for the Chicago Theatre shows are available at:
The Chicago Theatre box office, all Ticketmaster outlets, ticketmaster.com or 800-745-3000
THE ROSEMONT THEATRE
George Lopez & Russell Peters
8 p.m. June 18
- Two of the biggest names on the comedy circuit are about to deliver a one-two comedy punch with this special event. Lopez, the host of TBS’s hit late-late-night show Lopez Tonight, and Peters, whose Green Card Tour performance blew comedy fans away at last year’s festival, will bring their multicultural comedy to the Rosemont for an exclusive one-time special performance.
Tickets for the Rosemont Theatre shows are available at The Rosemont Theatre box office, all Ticketmaster outlets, ticketmaster.com or 800-745-3000
7:30 p.m. June 16
- After wowing fans around the globe with his headlining act, Australian comedian Jim Jefferies returns to Chicago for a special night at the Park West. Jefferies has previously appeared in his own HBO special, I Swear to God, as well as the popular Down and Dirty with Jim Norton. Produced in association with AEG.
Tickets for the Park West shows are available at Park West box office, etix.com or 800-514-etix
THE VIC THEATRE
7:30 p.m. June 16
- Considered among the biggest break-out stars of 2011, Whitney Cummings has emerged as one of America’s top standup comedians. She turned in a particular memorable performance last year during the comedy special Roast of David Hasselhoff and more recently put Donald Trump in his place on Roast of Trump. Now she brings her lacerating wit to The Vic Theatre.
Jeffrey Ross Roasts Chicago
7:30 p.m. June 17
- Fresh off his much talked about appearance on Roast of Trump, Roastmaster General Jeffrey Ross forgoes his usual celebrity smearing to set his sights on the common Chicago plebes. In his acclaimed solo performance, the self-proclaimed “Meanest Man in Comedy” will not only offer his razor-sharp stand-up, but will also target the audience with the same smart-bomb delivery he’s used on Hollywood’s elite. And if that weren’t enough, he’ll roast some special local personalities. Fans will need to bring a thick skin, because with a show this hot, someone’s bound to get burned.
Tickets for the Vic Theatre shows are available at The Vic Theatre box office, at etix.com or 800-514-etix
10 p.m. June 14 to June 18
- Self-described “pianist, singer, songwriter, actor, comedian, pervert and wannabe rockstar,” international star Tim Minchin performs a five-night run of music and comedy. Minchin, who had recent stand out recent performances on CONAN as well as the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, will make his Chicago debut at Lincoln Hall.
Tickets for Lincoln Hall shows are available at The Vic Theatre box office, at etix.com or 800-514-etix