San Antonio, Texas is a long way from Westminster Abbey, but don’t let that stop you from celebrating the upcoming Royal Wedding. And while you may not be a “Sloane Ranger” like Kate Middleton (excuse me, Miss Catherine Middleton), you can shop like a British girl or a Princess.
- First and foremost, many Royal Wedding watchers need their own sapphire and diamond ring. You can buy a replica engagement ring by Kenneth Jay Lane here.
- Visit Lush inside the North Star Macy’s, whose first store was and still is in Covert Garden, London. Indulge in a fizzy bath ballistic like Lemon Days and Ginger Beer or a Gorilla Perfume like Lust and don’t forget to pick up the lightly scented Charity Pot lotion benefiting the Japan earthquake recovery while you’re there.
If you don’t have time to visit Lush, check out the online store at www.lushusa.com.
- Attend an antique auction on Tuesday night at Vogt Auction, featuring English Antiques from London in their “The Royal Wedding auction” which starts promptly at 7pm. Typical of Vogt’s UK-based vendors, items up for auction include pine benches, sideboards, antique table-top sewing machines and a tea trolley. All they are missing this time is a pub table… No time for an auction? There are several antique stores on Broadway Street, and don’t forget Back Alley Antiques in Artisan’s Alley.
When I lived in England, I often heard a saying that to an Englishman 50 miles is a long distance, to an American 100 years is a long time.
- In England, Market Day is how people do most of their grocery shopping. At Market you can buy anything from fresh fruits and veggies to fabric by the yard, dishes, pots and pans or gifts for Mother’s Day. Visit the Pearl Farmer’s Market on Wednesday afternoon or Saturday morning to get the experience for yourself.
England has an amazing grocery store called Tesco, which I thought was the greatest in the world until I discovered HEB, which has an amazing British-food section where I can buy Smarties.
- If you want Kate’s classic, fresh-faced makeup look, check out British-brand cosmetics. Boots No7 skincare and Rimmel London makeup products can be found at your local Target or CVS. I love Rimmel’s mascaras and miss shopping at the real Boots stores.
—-> Follow me on Twitter or FaceBook
All articles and photos by Susanna Pickle are protected under copyright laws and cannot be reposted (except for links back to the original post) without written permission from the author.
Email email@example.com with questions, suggested topics, comments or to ask permission to reuse an article. If you’re another Examiner, please link away, no permissions needed!