Atlanta Unity Church is hosting Jonny Lipford on Thursday, March 24, 2011, at 7:00 p.m. for an evening of music by a virtuoso of the Native American flute. Lipford’s music has been described as “outside the box” – a fusion of many genres, including jazz and pop, on an ancient instrument. It is Lipford’s mission to showcase the versatility of the flute.
Music plays a major role in the life of those in Unity. Charles Fillmore, co-founder of Unity, was aware of the profound effect of music on the human body when he wrote Jesus Christ Heals in 1939. Recent scientific research has also demonstrated that music has a significant impact on the human mind and body. Some of the common benefits include relief from the symptoms of depression, enhancement of the ability to manage pain, promotion of physical movement, increased coping ability when facing stress, release of muscle tension, and enhancement of the ability to focus for those with attention-deficit disorders.
According to research in music therapy, why do these benefits occur? First, music can alter brain waves through rhythm (slower rhythms leading to a sense of calm and faster rhythms leading to greater alertness) while the brain’s flexibility in changing on its own is enhanced. Second, breathing and heart rate are altered which can modify the effects of long-term stress on body functioning. Finally, music promotes positive thinking and creativity.
Please join Jonny Lipford on March 24th for an enjoyable and soulful musical experience that can enhance your physical and mental wellbeing. Registration is not required, but a love offering will be taken at the event. To enjoy video performances by Jonny Lipford, click here for “Forgiven Memories”; click here for “Orange Dragonflies”; and click here for “In the Misty Night.”
Atlanta Unity Church is located at 3597 Parkway Lane in Norcross, Georgia 30092 (phone at 770-441-0585). The church campus is located outside I-185 (the Perimeter Highway) off Peachtree Ind. Blvd. From I-285 go North on Peachtree Ind. Blvd. (Exit 318/GA 141). Bear left on GA 141/Peachtree Parkway at the split. At the third light, go left on Jay Bird Alley (see Walgreen’s at that light on the left). Turn at the second right onto Parkway Lane at the Royal Peachtree Corners sign.
For residents of Columbus, Georgia, who seek a spiritual community that honors music from all spiritual traditions, the following six Unity churches are also within driving distance:
- Unity of Albany (GA) – approximately 75 miles from Columbus, GA. Address for services at 11 a.m. on Sundays is 178 Hugh Road, Leesburg, GA. Phone: (229) 435-1001.
- Unity of Montgomery (AL) Spiritual Center – approximately 77 miles from Columbus, GA. Address for services at 11 a.m. on Sundays is 1922 Walnut Street, Montgomery, AL 36106. Phone: (334) 263-1225.
- Unity in the Heart of Georgia (Byron, GA) – approximately 78 miles from Columbus, GA. Address for services at 11 a.m. on Sundays is 127 Peachtree Parkway #701, Byron, GA. Phone: (478) 737-7537.
- Unity South Atlanta Church (Jonesboro, GA) – approximately 84 miles from Columbus, GA. Address for services at 10 a.m. on Sundays is 7541 Mr. Zion Boulevard, Jonesboro, GA. Phone: (404) 578-3033.
- Unity of Dothan (AL) – approximately 90 miles from Columbus, GA. Address for services at 11 a.m. on Sundays is 942 South Oates, Dothan, AL 36301. Phone: (334) 794-2840.
- Unity West Church (Douglasville, GA) – approximately 94 miles from Columbus, GA. Address for services at 11 a.m. on Sundays is 6472 East Church Street – Suite F, Douglasville, GA 30134. Phone: (678) 570-1487.
Available through Unity’s website is Jesus Christ Heals by co-founder Charles Fillmore ($14.95 in paperback).
For those wishing to investigate the scientific aspect of music and mental and physical health, the following books are available from Amazon: (1) Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain by Oliver Sacks ($10.17 in paperback), and, (2) Music Therapy: An Art Beyond Words by Leslie Bunt ($38.00 in paperback).