For many homeschool families, short term missions plans are part of the curriculum. Learning about other cultures, serving needy people across the globe, and sharing of their faith are important keystones that often shape the direction of a student’s future. Many homeschoolers participate in missions through their churches or other organizations, and often a key component is fund raising for the cost of the trip.
What if there could be a way to win money to apply to a mission adventure by doing something that many homeschoolers love? For a few young men or women, a good portion of the cost of a trip could be garnered by writing an essay.
Global Encounters is a world-wide Christian ministry focusing on short-term missions in numerous exotic, but needy places. For summer, 2011, trip destinations include Central and South America, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Romania. For those who may not be connected to a church already planning a service opportunity, Global Encounters is a place to plug into an organized program.
For the first time, Global Encounters has teamed up with Institute for Excellence in Writing and CollegePlus! to offer a writing contest to stimulate interest in missions and help a few students get some cash toward one of their trips.
Global Encounters Essay Contest
How to enter:
- Write an original essay in 500-750 words that answers the question “What is missions and how can you be involved?”
- Send your essay to email@example.com by March 31st.
- Be sure to include your name, age, address, and phone number.
- Entries will be judged by a qualified panel of judges, including representatives of Global Encounters, based upon relevance to the essay topic, innovation, and clarity of expression. The decisions of the judges will be final and binding on all matters.
- Citizens of the United States and Canada
- Ages of 15-23 with the participant’s age being calculated on April 12th, 2011.
- Grand Prize: $1,200
- Second prize: $500
- Third prize: $300
- Five honorable mentions: a Global Encounters hoodie and a $75 certificate!
- Prizes are awarded in the form of certificates redeemable toward a Global Encounters mission trip. Awards expire two years from date of issue. Winners must complete a Global Encounters mission trip application within ten days of winning and be accepted as a team member. Failure to meet these qualifications will result in the prizes being awarded to the next runners-up.
Deadline: March 31st, 2011. Winners will be announced on April 12th.
If you are interested in going on a short-term mission trip this summer, as a teen or college student, homeschooled or not, checkout the Global Encounters Essay Contest.
Arizona students may be interested in finding out more about Global Encounters through Dewey Novotny, an Arizona homeschooling father of seven. He is the developer of the Life Purpose Planning Program, and pioneered the Arizona Youth Leadership Seminars and blogs for Global Encounters.