This weekend, March 26 and 27, 2011 will be the 2nd Oakland Running Festival. Last year’s festival had more than 6,000 runners; this year more than 7,000 are expected. Last year’s participants enjoyed the events, the scenic course, the music and other festivities, and the out-pouring of community support, and event planners expect this year’s event to be a huge success also.
There are 5 racing events: a full marathon, half-marathon, 5 K, relay, and a kid’s fun run. Although online registration is now closed, you may still be able to sign up at the Expo on Saturday, March 26 from 9 A.M. — 6 P.M. All of the races have at least 100 spots remaining, except for the relay, which is sold out.
Because last year’s inaugural event had a few glitches, this year’s organizers have made some adjustments – such as moving Saturday’s 5K to Jack London Square; expanding the Expo; and modifying the finish-line downtown to reduce congestion.
Here’s the schedule of events:
Saturday, March 26, 2011.
Oakland Marriott City Center. 9 AM – 6 PM
- Health & Fitness Expo and Racers’ Packet Pick-Up
Jack London Square (outside of Scott’s Seafood Bar and Grill, end of Broadway)
- 6:30 P.M. The Oakland Tribune Twilight 5K
The other activities:
- 8 P.M. Awards Ceremony 5K
- 6 P.M. – 8 P.M. Festival Kick Off Party
- 6 P.M. – P.M. Live Music on Main Stage
Sunday, March 27, 2011 (Frank Ogawa Plaza)
- 7:15 A.M. Opening Remarks and final instructions
- 7:30 A.M. Marathon*
- 7:30 A.M. 4-person Team Relay*
- 8:30 A.M. Kid’s Fun Run
- 9 A.M. Half-Marathon*
Note: *Start line at 14th & Broadway Streets/ All Sunday races finish on 14th Street across from the iconic oak tree in Frank Ogawa Plaza.
The other activities:
- 7 A.M. – 3 P.M. Celebration Village and Activities
- 12 noon Marathon, Half-Marathon, Relay Awards (Main Stage in Celebration Village)
To see the course map, Click here
Parking and transit:
- Oakland Marriott City Center Garage, City Center Garage and City Center West, Marriott City Center Convention Center.
- BART and AC TRANSIT will also operate on Saturday during Expo hours. Note: BART on Sunday begins service at 8 AM. The closest BART stop to the expo entrance is 12th St. Oakland City
Here are suggested best locations for seeing the runners:
- Frank Ogawa Plaza – Runners start and post-race party and live music.
- College Ave – Runners pass here at miles 4 & 5
- Jack London Square – Runners pass here at mile 17
- Laney College – Runners pass here at mile 16
- Lake Merritt – Runners will be in area between miles 22 and 25.
Lots more info online at Oakland Marathon’s website.
Course map, Click here
The Oakland Marathon is a Corrigan Sports Event