Doug McClain Cuffee was a featured poet at The People’s Poetry Festival’s Poetry Reading event at Greenbrier Library. Doug’s selection of poetry readings including some from his spoken word cd, From the Draft to the Craft.
Doug titled his spoken word album, From the Draft to the Craft, because he’s taken some lumps throughout the year, gets back up and keeps fighting. On the album cover, Doug is seen laying on the ground with his face all beaten up, which symbolizes everything he’s been through, showing he’s still here to keep pushing on.
Doug McClain Cuffee’s poetry is mostly inspirational. He likes to use a lot of rock music in his songs; although, he does love all types of music, so he has put a variety of music styles on his spoken word album.
Experience one of Doug’s poetry reading performances from that night, Rabbit Genie, in the video located to the left of the article.
From Doug’s cd, Black and Blue and Red (Read) All Over comes From the Draft to the Craft (free download) and also The Forget Me Not ($0.99 download).
Doug’s poetic style tends to flow in verses of rhyme, perfectly suiting the life experiences he expresses in his poems. His rhymes keep you in tune with his smooth sounding, poetic yet melodic beats presented in his poetry.
This is Doug’s first feature at a poetry event! Discover the poetry Doug featured that night and the story behind these poems:
- A Silent Weapon for a Quiet War –is a short poem representing how poetry is the “silent weapon” helping you get through whatever life throws your way, the one weapon you can turn to in nurturing your needs. As Doug reveals in the poem’s closing line: if this poem helps you, in what you’re fighting for, call it a silent weapon, for a quiet war.
- The Will to Live – Doug reveals: I wrote this poem in 2004, I remember the day I wrote it, I was in a funk, and when I wrote this, it kind of lifted me up a bit. A lot of my poems are uplifting and that’s how I wanna keep it cause I think poetry should uplift, not bring you down, which is just a side note from what’s been going on a couple of weeks ago. [insert link to censorship articles]. Doug’s poetic lines include: Because I found my voice… because I crave reply… because I want to help… because I love to write… because I need to give… to those who’ve lost their way, their own will to live.
- From the Draft to the Craft –reveals the craft of poetry in a nutshell: what poetry is and the duties of a poet who takes their drafted words and crafts it into meaningful poetic pieces. Doug’s poetic lines include: We have to remember, we didn’t choose poetry, it chose us… we as poets realize, that words are the most powerful weapons in the world… but finding your voice comes with time, and all poems don’t have to rhyme… keep your teeth sharp, so when you talk, your tongue bleeds…remember poetry chose us, and it chose well.
- The Forget Me Not – Doug’s poetic lines include: I’m giving all I got, so forget me not… this lyrical one shot, will hit like a slingshot… every good poem is a gift from God, every bad poem is a gift from God, every first line is a gift from God, every last rhyme is a gift from God… to give it your best shot, to season the pot.
- As If I Had A Choice –Doug reveals: this is kind of, sort of, not my autobiography. The paper, the pen… a love for the craft, a struggle to begin… everyone said, Doug, write what you know… the only way out was in, there was no doubt, that my life became my voice, as if I had a choice.
- Rabid Genie – Doug reveals: don’t ask me where I got the name from, because I don’t know! It just popped into my head and is one of those poems where you’ll have to just take it in and just figure it out, because I’m not even going to try to explain it. Experience Rabid Genie for yourself in the video to the left!
Subscribe now or follow your Chesapeake Poetry Examiner on Facebook!
The Chesapeake Poetry Examiner welcomes questions, comments, article ideas, interviews, event announcements, etc by e-mailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For other poetry related articles and events visit:
- Poetic News Spins
- Complete List of Poetry Readings, Events and Open Mics!
- Poet’s Market: best resource tool for poet’s seeking publishing opportunities
- The passion of poetry and where to enhance your writing skills