Since Chicago goes extreme Irish on St. Patrick’s Day, it should make sense to go with an extreme stout. I think you know what I mean:
Have I been derelict in keeping you informed of where to find Founders Brewing Company’s Kentucky breakfast Stout? Yes I have, but for good reasons:
- I’ve been humping to beat a deadline on another writing project.
- I, um, wanted to be sure to get mine first.
Well, I got my bottle. I opened it, and even taped myself reviewing it! Yes, when this sentence turns blue, I’ll have a video review online. But I did tell you about it being tapped at Tribes Monday night and Local Option yesterday.
So meantime, here once again is the story of “KBS.” It started with Breakfast Stout, an Imperial Stout at 8.3% alcohol by volume, made with flaked oats, chocolate and coffee. In 2005, Founders premiered the “Kentucky” version, so called because it was aged in oak bourbon barrels. This beer pops up to 11.2% alcohol, and is meant to be poured into and enjoyed from a snifter if possible.
I can report that I got my bottle Wednesday at Binny’s of Downers Grove. But I got the last bottle out of a one-case shipment. That was along with a guy who had sped over because the Willowbrook store was sold out. This is why it pays to get to know the beer guy at your own favorite liquor retailer.
Meantime, here’s the list that I’ll be updating over the next week or so:
As of March 17:
- LunaR Brewing Co., 54 E. St. Charles Rd., Villa Park, IL (630) 530-2077 — Lists KBS available in bottles as of March 16, on beermenus.com. Also reporting Founders Doble Trouble, Dirty Bastard and Backwoods Bastard.
- Fork (Chicago), a new restaurant in the former Fiddlehead Cafe at 4600 N. Lincoln Ave. (773) 751-150, — reports it in bottles as of March 16.
- Risqué Cafe, 3419 N. Clark St. (773) 525-7711 — Last beermenus post had it in bottles as of March 1.
- Local Option, 1102 W. Webster Ave., Chicago (773) 348-2008 — Debuted a “Flavor Flav” beer list Wednesday, March 16 that included KBS on draft among 25 other beer geek delights. So there’s a chance you might still find some.
- Maria’s Packaged Good & Community Bar will be tapping Friday, March 18 at 8:00 p.m. “Join us on the southside for our tapping of the Founders Kentucky Bourbon Stout. We hope to have some other Founder’s Surprise on draft too.” 960 W. 31st St., Chicago. (773) 837-0145.
- Malloy’s Finest Wine & Spirits, 1020 Maple Ave., Lisle, IL (630) 271-0707. Tapping scheduled April 13. Time TBA.
- Binny’s South Loop, 1132 S. Jefferson St., Chicago (312) 768-4400 — Tapping scheduled for April 14.
- Founders Brewing Co., 235 Grandville Ave SW, Grand Rapids, MI — Duh, but you may want to schedule a visit for their 10th Annual Black Party, April 16, starting at 11:00 a.m. Not only KBS, but Breakfast Stout, Imperial Stout, Black IPA, Porter and many other of their darkest beers will on tap. $8 admission.
- Local Option, 1102 W. Webster Ave., Chicago (773) 348-2008 — Yet another KBS Tapping May 16, with other Founders beers on tap, including the even rarer Canadian Breakfast Stout, aged in maple syrup barrels.
I hope these will give you ample opportunity to fulfill your KBS jones for now. I’ll will update this listing as I hear more.
Follow me on Twitter or Facebook. For future events in first draft, check my Google calendar.