Capcom has revealed a new game franchise today at Captivate 2011 and it comes from the same developers responsible for Resident Evil 4 and Devil May Cry 4. Dragon’s Dogma looks like a strange brew of traditional and not so traditional fantasy elements packaged together and we’ve got the first trailer, screenshots and concept art for you to check out.
Dragon’s Dogma puts players in charge of a party as they seek to destroy a mysterious dragon. Players will control one party member while the others fight independently but be given commands with the D-pad and provide helpful suggestions.
The game features about 30 hours of playtime not including sidequests as a party of four characters explores the open fantasy world. The game is heavily influenced by Greek and Norse mythology so expect to see Hydras and Griffins along with orcs and, of course, dragons. And while it may look similar to Capcom’s Monster Hunter, game director Hideaki Itsuno tells the Playstation Blog that the two are “they are very different games at heart.”
There will be multiplayer in the game but no details have been provided yet.
According to Capcom, Dragon’s Dogma features:
- Highly Stylized Action Combat – The creators of this game were responsible for the action hits – Resident Evil 4 and Devil May Cry 4.
- Fight With Ability – The soul of combat comes down to how the game is played, where you strike the enemy, and how you react to their attacks.
- Accessible Depth – Bringing an unprecedented level of depth to the action genre, every decision has an effect on gameplay in an intuitive way that does not require micromanagement. The weight of your weapon, the material of your armor – even the length of your legs – plays a role in how you fight your battles, but does not interrupt the flow of the action.
- Epic Adventure – Dragon’s Dogma is built from the ground up as an action experience for consoles with a continuous, epic storyline that stands alone in style, scope and substance.
- Open World – Utilizing Capcom’s proprietary MT Framework engine and the groundbreaking graphical styles and lighting effects used in Resident Evil 5 and Lost Planet 2, Dragon’s Dogma expands the environment to create a vast, richly detailed world, ripe for exploration.
- A Rich Population – In addition to interacting with hundreds of fully voiced NPCs, you’ll be able to fight a large variety of creatures, from goblins to griffins and dragons. Each enemy requires a different strategy and provides a unique experience.
We can expect to see Dragon’s Dogma early in 2012.
You can check out the first trailer for Dragon’s Dogma in our video gallery along with screenshots and concept art in our slideshow gallery.
Follow us on Facebook or Twitter for the latest news or you can subscribe to our RSS feed or email alerts.