It’s officially spring, but there’s still enough of a chill in the air that I want some hot comfort food for dinner. Growing up, chicken and dumplings always hit the spot, but I wanted to make a vegetarian, allergy-free version that equally curbed my craving.
Although it’s a bit tricky to get the consistency of the dumpling dough perfect, there’s good news. If the dough becomes too wet and doesn’t stick together so well, you can always turn the casserole into a pot pie by just pouring the batter over the top.
NYC Shopping Tips: Get Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour and Earth Balance Soy Free Natural Butter Spread at Fairway for $7.19 (44 oz.) and $4.89 (15 oz.), respectively. Find farm fresh eggs from Feather Ridge Farm, mushrooms from John Madura farms, and the other vegetables from other farmers at the year-round Greenmarkets.
Ingredients for casserole:
- 3-4 T. olive oil (or butter substitute)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 beets, peeled and chopped
- 1 c. mushrooms, chopped (portabellas recommended)
- ½ c. frozen peas
- 1 can lentils OR 1 c. dry lentils
- 4 c. vegetable stock
- 2/3 c. gluten free all purpose flour
Ingredients for dumplings:
- 2 c. gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 t. salt
- 3 t. baking powder
- 2 T. basil
- 2 T. Earth Balance Soy Free Natural Buttery Spread
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ c. unsweetened hemp milk
- Heat oil in a large pot and sauté onions, celery, carrots, and mushrooms until veggies start to soften.
- Add stock, beets, lentils, flour, and spices. Stir, bring to a boil, and stir some more.
- Reduce heat, add peas and spices, and continue to stir.
- Preheat oven to 350. For the dumplings, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and basil. Add butter and mix until crumbly. Add egg and quickly stir together while adding hemp milk a little bit at a time, because you don’t want the mix to be too wet. Mix until ingredients are thoroughly incorporated and dough comes together in a “shaggy” ball.
- Pour contents of pot into a casserole dish. Spoon the dough onto the casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes uncovered and then covered for 10 minutes until the dumplings are done.