The first period of the fantasy baseball season consisted of extra games thanks to the season starting earlier than usual. As a result, a few batters hit a plethora of home runs, with at least one man setting a pace he will never be able to keep up throughout the season.
1. Nelson Cruz, Texas Rangers (5) – I have heard some analysts say that, if Nelson Cruz stays healthy, he can be the best hitter on the Texas Rangers team, better than Josh Hamilton, Michael Young and Ian Kinsler. Some may have doubted that but a look at his power numbers may sway some. Cruz hit five home runs in the first fantasy baseball scoring period of the season. He can’t keep up the pace, which see’s him on the way to 100 homers on the season.
2. Howard Kendrick, LA Angels (4) – Vernon Wells is starting the season off slumping and some have blamed Angels park, which is not as home run friendly as Toronto was. Don’t tell Angels infielder Howard Kendrick, who hit four homers to start the season. Kendrick has always been a power threat and, if he can become more select, he might have a career year hitting the long ball.
3. Ryan Braun, Milwaukee Brewers (4) – Ryan Braun started off the season strong, hitting a homer on opening day and has now totaled four after the first fantasy baseball scoring period ended. He is coming off a poor 2010 season and is on fire to start 2011.
4. Miguel Cabrera, Detroit Tigers (4) – The talk about Miguel Cabrera’s off-field problems is dying down as Cabrera is playing light’s out, with four homers to start the season. He also has a high batting average and is hitting for extra bases too.
5. Ian Kinsler, Texas Rangers (4) – To see why the Texas Rangers are off to the best start of their franchise history, look at the fact they have two hitters in the top 5 for home runs (and four in the top 20) after the first fantasy baseball scoring period of the season. Kinsler has always been an injury risk but is off to a great start with four homers thus far.
6. Mark Teixeira, New York Yankees (4) – The Bronze Bombers are at it again. New York has to be happy with Mark Teixeira’s performance so far. Last year, he got off to a horrible start before heating up down the stretch. This year is different as Teixeira has four jacks in the first fantasy baseball scoring period.
Click here for the best in sports handicapping
7. Paul Konerko, Chicago White Sox (3)
8. Asdrubal Cabrera, Cleveland Indians (3)
9. Russell Martin, New York Yankees (3)
10. Mike Napoli, Texas Rangers (3)
11. Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees (3)
12. Alex Avilia, Detroit Tigers (3)
13. Josh Willingham, Oakland A’s (3)
14. Alfonso Soriano, Chicago Cubs (3)
15. Rickie Weeks, Milwaukee Brewers (3)
16. Troy Tulowitzki, Colorado Rockies (3)
17. Adrian Beltre, Texas Rangers (3)
18. Pat Burrell, San Francisco Giants (3)
19. Jorge Posada, New York Yankees (3)
Make sure to subscribe by clicking the button at the top of the page to get all fantasy sports news when it hits.
- Make sure to follow me on Facebook
- Make sure to follow me on Twitter
- Make sure to follow me on Digg
Catch all the fantasy sports news on the hornface.com Fantasy Sports FaceBook page. “Like” the page and get notices whenever news is published from Fantasy Sports Examiners from all over the country
For complete fantasy baseball coverage, visit the Fantasy Sports Examiner’s 2011 Fantasy Baseball Hub Page